After many hours spent attempting to decide how I could possibly write something to wrap up this crazy/wonderful/stupid year, I was still stumped. I've done so much this year that I'm not truly sure it would be possible to properly thank every person, place or moment that made it so unique.
On my 25th and last flight of the year, I thought back to when I started this site-- as a project to stave off boredom as I embarked on a crazy adventure which would give me more free time than I knew what to do with. One of my first few posts, and still a favorite of mine, is my goodbye to 2016. In it, I detailed some highlights from the year and gave thanks for just how much I was able to travel (just 3,149 miles short of the distance around the earth) and learn over those twelve months.
To say that 2017 has been a big year would be the understatement of the century, both in my personal life and in the wider global community. I'm much too small to speak for the rest of the world, though, so instead I'll highlight some of the moments from my 2017:
- By conservative estimates, I have traveled roughly 1.5 times the distance around the earth in 2017. That's 3,4910 miles. In a year.
- I was lucky enough to explore 12 new countries, and return to a few old favorites
- Though still a student, I was able to gain a full year's worth of work experience and was offered my first adult job as an option for after graduation
- Added an abundance of anecdotal ridiculousness to my ongoing list of things I've done that would make excellent short films. While the newest additions can be read in full here, highlights include:
- Ridden in a hot air balloon over Lithuania with three spaniards and rushed to land before crossing the border into Belarus
- Returned to Paris only to spend the night in the world's least secure hostel with two terrified, inexperienced American friends
- Accepted an invitation for a day-trip to a friend’s hometown to find that a whirlwind of a lifetime can, indeed, fit into the span of twelve hours
- Worked as the only American and woman in an office filled with Scottish men
- Attended the birthday dinner of an American friend living in Germany as the only non-German speaker
- Once again completed three internships at the same time
- Lived and worked in a city where I did not speak the language
- Attended Prime Minister's Questions in Westminster three times
- Both learned from and helped shape communities
- Found a new home (or two or three) (looking @ you London/Belgrade/Sarajevo/so many more)
While this list means a lot to me, my words, as always, are simply not enough. So, to supplement, below is my year shown through my favorite photos I've taken in 2017.
This will be my last post for a while, I'm sure, though I know I'll come back to Travel, She Writes when I feel I've found something worth writing about. I may keep up with adding new photos-- though only time will tell.
After so many new things this past year, it's time for me to settle in to where I am right now. So, goodbye 2017, goodbye TSW, and thank you. For everything. 2018, let's make this a good one.